Also available as a PDF.
Nathan C. Frey, PhD
firstname.lastname@example.org | (636) 634-7386 | https://ncfrey.github.io
- Ph.D. Materials Science & Engineering, University of Pennsylvania, 2016 - 2021
- M.A. Physics, Boston University, 2014 - 2016
- B.Sc. Physics and Mathematics, Summa Cum Laude & Honors in Physics, University of Missouri, Columbia, 2010 - 2014
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
Postdoctoral Associate, 2021 - Present
- Postdoc with the Lincoln Laboratory Supercomputing and AI groups.
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
National Defense Science & Engineering Graduate Fellow, 2016 - 2021
- Applied multiscale modeling techniques including density functional theory, molecular dynamics, and finite element analysis to computational design of two-dimensional quantum materials and transition-metal oxide battery materials.
- Developed framework using positive and unlabeled machine learning and high-throughput first-principles calculations to predict synthesizability of novel bulk and two-dimensional materials.
- AtomicAI, Philadelphia, PA
Co-founder, 2020 - Present
- Building data science solutions for bio- and nano-tech companies.
- Providing data analytics and AI strategy consulting.
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA
Affiliate Scientist, 2019 - 2020
- Contributed to the Materials Project by building an automated graph-based and machine learning workflow for predicting properties of magnetic and topological materials as a visitor in the Persson group.
- Python, Bash, High performance computing, Git, Unix, AWS (EC2, S3, Fargate, CDK, SageMaker), SQL, MongoDB, Mathematica, LaTeX, Machine learning, Keras, TensorFlow, Inkscape, Blender, Conversational Japanese.
Service and leadership
- National Science Foundation Research Mentor, 2016 - Present
Boston, MA and Philadelphia, PA
- Mentored high school teachers and undergraduates from underrepresented groups during summer research experiences.
- Project Manager, 2016 - 2018
Weiss Tech House Innovation Fund, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Sourced, assessed, and advised early-stage student-run startups through weekly coffee chats with founders.
- Funded select startups after evaluating pitches and round-table discussions.